06 June 2011

Am I alone?

This is ridiculous.Am I the only one that battles to get my (now) 10yr old out of bed every morning? I know its a gene thing...I really battle....but c'mon?!!

This morning was insane....it was 0740 and she was still hiding undercover refusing to get up! I cannot (and wont) wrestle with her at this stage. She has to listen to me. >_<

Eventually I did what every good mother does. I bribed. Although I dont like that word. I began to incentivise albeit negatively.  

I began to deduct pocket money....we have a little chart that goes up at the beginning of every month. At the top is the total pocket money you get at the END of the month...but deductions (and additions) can occur at any given time during the course of those 30 days preceding pay-day.  So basically you can lose and gain all through the month...ending up with MORE or LESS than the original amount. Works a treat for my girls, I tell ya!

So I finally said :

That's it. You lose R20 off your pocket money with immediate effect. And I am going to stand here (downstairs at the breakfast table) and deduct R1 for every minute you make me wait!

Well, if you thought the speed of light was quick....hmmmm. She was dressed and downstairs within 90seconds. All to the tune of 'snot, trane, horrible mom, so unfair, so rude, blah blah, falalalala*.

Do (or did) any of your kids give you drama and eternal grief in the mornings?

************************

ps - we have put a moratorium on bedtime reading...she cannot put a book down (another pesky gene thing)  and I think this may add to the morning madness.

13 comments:

Sophia said...

Don't feel alone, my 7 year old has the same symptoms of trying to sleep in longer every morning, makes my blood boil...I like your chart idea though!!!

MacNessa said...

Ugh - what freaks me out is that the little fockers can be up at 5am on a saturday, but 6h30 on a weekday? NO WAY.

That's a great idea about the pocket money chart *steals idea* - my eldest has just found out that he can earn money by doing housework. You should have seen that 5 year old work a vacuum, I was SO freaking proud. R10 and he was ALL over the house, even removing the 'head' to use the nozzle in small spaces. My little housework rockstar! Now I just need to figure out something for the three year old to do...(evil laugh)...

Heathcote Safari said...

I am so with you! We had the same this morning ... and I can empathize with the getting-out-of-a-warm-bed-on-a-cold-morning thing, but I CANNOT abide the talking back that happens following that. Tim and I are right now scheming on the appropriate penalty!

blackhuff said...

You are SO not the only one who struggles with getting your kid up in the mornings. This is a battle I have to endour most mornings. We don't give pocket money, so we deduct computer or TV time if they don't get up and follow morning routines.
I feel your frustration. I really do.

Caroline said...

I used to have that problem with the boys but not anymore. But English rose... - don't get me started. On a good day we make it to daycare 9.25 (It's a 5min drive away). That's when the wake up bell goes at 7am!!

Stefanie said...

I have loaded undressed kid in the car with the rest of them to school. Snot and trane all the way, they didn't know there were extra school clothes in the car for them to change into once the siblings were out. My kids all have their own alarms now and have to take responsibility for their own wake-ups. Granted they are older than yours.
My DH, he waits for the late bug and cheers them on. I am far tougher because I HATE being made late by others.

Laura said...

What time does school start? We start at 7h40 so if mine are still in bed at that time we miss school :)

For the most part we are ok. I do a count down and then get into the car. It does usually spur them on BUT I do often find items left behind when I get back from dropping them!

cat said...

Ah yes, my 6 year old! We have now started earlier and earlier with bed time. Seem to work. And I pull off the covers and open the blind.

Lynette said...

My oldest son did it...I think he still does at 31;-) Great demerit system you have going there.

Shayne said...

For whatever reason, I don't have this problem. Who knows why. My eldest (ok, she is 13) knows the consequences of being late - a half hr drive to school means we need to be up and atem by 06h45. She's learn't by now. Even in town, they're up by 06h30 and at school by 07h15 and she's no problem.

Polly too - who knows where she got the early bug from (prob my MIL) but she is often up befor 05h30 and happily playing in her room.

I've obviously got weird kids.

But yes, i reckon the demerit system you've got going is going to do the trick.

clare said...

ME too havent really had this problem especially with Erin she is always up early so I have to watch that she gets enough sleep. Scott too he burns the midnight oil regularly and is up early for school or work. Once they get up of course is another story ....

Julia said...

My tween has no problem getting up but he is exceptionally slow in the mornings and needs to be supervised. Otherwise he will take 15 minutes to brush his teeth and 39 minutes to get dressed. I like your demerit system.

Jeanne-Marie said...

I also have such a bookworm, which is the cause of many issues in our house.... I find her "sneak" reading on the toilet instead of doing homework, or better yet, studying. Our record one day was 2 hours....

I have had to totally ban books during the term - because it's such a distration for her. We so make deals about reading - she's only allowed to pick up a book when all that is needed to be done is DONE.

Your morning negiotiations sound perfect to me. Esp, if they work. And it worked the charm. I say go for it. Bribery and corruption goes a long way. :-) It helps make it unemotional when you NEED something done!

Hope it will help your mornings run more smoothly!

Personally... my mornings are MANIC - and my hair is permanently on fire.