26 June 2011

The Happiness Project

I started reading this book last night. And my heart began to race as I read page after page.


Finally.

Someone gets it. Someone feels EXACTLY like me. Right down to the tiniest detail. I am not alone in this crazy place of discontented contentment.

I am going to share some excerpts with you from the introduction

**********************

" i had much to be happy about. I was married to Jamie.....we two delightful daughters....I was a writer...i lived in my favourite city/.....
but all too often I sniped at my husband, i lost my temper easily, i suffered bouts of melancholy, listlessness and free-floating guilt."

"i wasnt depressed and i wasnt having a midlife crisis, but i was suffering from a midlife malaise - a recurrent sense of discontent and almost a feeling of disbelief. Can this be me?'

'But though at times I felt dissatisfied, that something was missing, I also never forgot how fortunate I was.....'

'When i stepped back to reflect on my resolutions, i was struck their small scale.T ake January - Go to bed earlier. and Tackle a nagging task. These didnt sound dramatic or colourful or particularly ambitious.

'Other peoples radical happiness projects such as Thoreau's  move to Walden Pond and Liz Gilberts move to Italy, India and Indonesia, exhilarated me. ...... But my project wasnt like that.....I didnt want to undertake that kind of extraordinary change./.....And more important I didnt want to reject my life. I wanted to change my life by finding more happiness in my own kitchen..../.'


'...my real worry about my project: Was it supremely self-centred to spend so much effort on my own happiness?'

(the author goes on to quote various philosophers and modern scientists and concludes)
"....shows that happy people are more altuistic, more productive, more helpful, more likable, more creative, more resilient, more interested in others, friendlier and healthier. Happy people make better friends, colleauges and citizens. I wanted to be one of those people."

*********************

I have only just finished chapter 1 but I can already see that this book will be a valuable read.

Change isnt in the big things. It is in the tiny details of our everyday lives that we either fail to see because we are too busy or we fail to acknowledge the weight of seemingly small decisions that have far-reaching effects.

5 comments:

Julia said...

Love it!
Did you know that Gretchen Rubin has a Happiness blog? I subscribe to it and I absolutely love her posts. I was planning to buy this book as my Christmas gift to myself but now you've made me all impatient and I must have it ASAP! What to do? What to do?

stroller said...

It resonates, for sure.
But (almost scared to say this out loud) I'm seeing daylight.
At last and unmistakably, daylight.

christa said...

i liked and loved reading about your journey Bok, never a dull moment your side hey! You are a LOVELY/diverse person, fun/faithful friend, awesome and creative mom, out of this world networker, what a wife, and a much beloved child on top of it all (I can see the dear way Allie send you posts)

all-together you are VERY well liked by meeeeeeee and so many multitudes X ps most of all my Mellie, I hope with ALL MY HEART that THIS is what your mind tells you when you look in the mirror (maybe because I believe if we see the truth about ourselves, a CURRENT of happiness hits us/wells up in us from the depth of our beings)

Love you soooooooooooooooooo much my precious friendy X

Hayley said...

Okay...after reading that...totally get it :-)

blackhuff said...

After reading what you now posted out of the book, I understand the journey you are now following. Thanks for sharing.