05 June 2011

Happy Birthday HoneyGirl


And now you are ten. T E N.  I have to say it a few times to let the reality sink in. You apparently dont feel any different to yesterday but, believe me, everything is different for me. The passage of time is marked before my very eyes.

When I look at you I see Grace. You know the story behind your being with us - you are my eternal reminder ... when my faith waivers in other areas, I just look at you.

It is with great pride I absorb every ounce of the young lady you are becoming. Sometimes I am not even sure how much I had to do with it - so *contained/together* are you! From a determined, rather withdrawn and fiercely independent 5yr old to this gregarious, fearless and utterly engaging tween.

I dont think anyone could have forseen what lay ahead - from your passion and talent for music to your sustained love for your Littlest Pet Shops and umpteen stuffed animals that STILL reside on your bed....the very same ones that used to reside in your cot!

Honey, you are a constantly and unassumingly surprising us with the evolution of your character and personality. If I have learnt anything in raising you so far it is that you should never box your kids (or allow anyone else to do so). You have shredded every stereotype we may have quietly held - you are outgrowing our wildest expectations for you and we are so very proud of the incredible person you are; from the way you care for your siblings to the way you sustain your friendships.

Happy birthday Honeygirl, I am excited (and somewhat nervous!) about the years before us...the next few are crucial in our relationship to help us weather those tumultuous teen years. I pray I can be what you NEED me to be. I love you; infinitely and more, always remember that.

11 comments:

Shayne said...

Beautiful post Mel x

I'm so not a blogger said...

I second Shayne:-)

Marcelle said...

This is the most beautiful post...I want to cry now...how lucky you all have each other....you were meant to be her mother, she was meant to be your daughter...Life has a wonderful way of working out, you had to wait for this precious gift...till she was ready to come!

Lynette said...

These beautiful, loving words really struck such a deep cord in me. Beautiful post Mel.

Hayley said...

So beautiful! xxxx

Sophia said...

Gorgeous pic, and Big Happy Birthday to her...

blackhuff said...

Happy birthday to your girl and such a beautiful post you have written.

cat said...

What a beautiful letter to her. And such a beautiful photo of your stunning girl.

Wendy said...

What an awesome post Mel.

Kim Watson said...

Gorgeous sentiment Mel...she'll cherish this for eternity. X

ANNE said...

Mel, your word are so beautiful because they come from the heart! Rachel will treasure this one day - I hope you are keeping them all safely!