15 August 2011

Simple Joys = Mild Panic


"Mom, can I go outside and ride? Pleeeeeease?"

"Um? (trying to think of reasons why not). Er.Hmm. Okay."

Why, you ask, am I so hesitant to let my son go and ride his bike? Why do his sisters regularly refuse to ride with him ?  (or lay down rules) Why do I daily regret the moment he learnt to ride?

The answer is simple. He is a freaking maniac. That simple request (to ride his bike) consumes me with fear in an instant.

Riding means:

Pushing his bike up the hill and around the corner. 
Then PEDALLING as fast as possible down the same hill, around the hairpin bend and then attempting to WHEELIE over the speed bumps.

My shattered nerves. Literally.

Cant he just watch tv. Like forever?

10 comments:

Marcelle said...

Those hills in your area are HECTIC, i would worry as well....

Shayne said...

Um, he's a boy? Don't they do stuff like that?

Rather you than me x

Stefanie said...

Helmit ....one word for you.

MelB said...

Helmet FOR SURE Stef....he doesnt have on in this pic cos its at Old McD's...no need there.

MacLeod House said...

Now imagine for a moment there were two of them. Egging each other on. Welcome to the world of shattered nerves at MacLeod House, and be thankful you stopped at 1 (boy). ;)

Lynette said...

Sounds very much like the way my sons were...you need nerves of steel.

blackhuff said...

Sounds a lot like how I feel about my son as well - fear :)

Kirsty said...

I have 2 boy types and 1 girl type... and they are all kamikaze! I am quite laid back though... I lay down the rules, which includes safety gear, no matter what the slope (I have seen enough children with head injuries through my line of work to know that I will never ever let them do anything without head gear on) They know these are the rules... and they also know if they don't don a helmet, they don't do it. End of story :0

cat said...

I ca so see that in my future - Little Man L is a lunatic on his plastic bike - I can imagine when a bike comes into his world.

Jeannie said...

I agree with u. I am beyond neurotic and proud of it. I do agree, I insist on a helmut. My friend's brother died riding his bike at home and he fell off and knocked the side of his head on the curb... silly but horrible.

Kitty is also a bit of maniac on the bike too, its part of her sensory stuff, she wiggles all of the road and can't keep left and can't go an even pace. It's so stressful for me even if I ride with, by the end of it we are fighting.

So I am so with you!