01 November 2012

October Wrap Up

I have popped into my blog a few times and then left feeling I dont have the time to get it the attention it deserves. Two weeks later I am of the mind that some attention is better than none.

In cases like these I do feel that bullet points will suffice!



Russ and I shared our 20th anniversary this year. What an incredible milestone, such a privilege and I am so grateful. It would be a bloody lie to say everyday has been a blessing but what I can say with surety is that every trial we have navigated has brought us closer and made us stronger. Trite but true. I am finding as you grow (and age!) together we are becoming more similar or maybe just more tolerant of each others foibles and idiosyncrasies.





I did a crazy impulsive thing. Years ago I promised Russ I would grow my hair...and it has never happened because I can never get through the awkward phase...and have been convinced I look horsey with long hair. Anyyyyway - I went and had extensions done as a surprise for him.  I lasted all of a week with them in. The keraton bonds nearly drove me up the damn wall. So much to everyones' horror I had them removed. Just like that. Life's to short to be annoyed with fake hair.

Rach has started modern dancing. She and Faith are in the same time slot which is just awesome. Levi is back at cricket and loving it. I feel exceptionally thankful that I have managed to have both Tuesday and Friday afternoons totally free....

This little poppet is becoming long and lean!
Caught in the act of a bonding moment!

As I type my kitchen is being partially dismantled...and tomorrow all our floors are being lifted. Storm damage from August and finally Absa have seen fit to get the contractors to come and sort things out. Means I will be without flooring for many weeks as the screed has to fully dry before the new floor is fitted. I am staying positive despite the horrendous disruption to our lives because the new flooring is beautiful. It is totally going to change the look n feel of our home which is kinda cool. And cheaper than moving. :-)

Rach is changing daily. She is filling out and becoming a young lady with typical teen attitude! *sigh* The hormones are tweaking and I never quite know which way the wind is going blow...it is really rather challenging. (euphemism anyone?) I know she needs me now more than ever but OMICAT it is, on occasion, a real trial to remain in her presence.

So tall and almost sharing shoes with me!

We (Rach, Faith and I) had a very lighthearted chat in the car this week. All about boys and the fact that we (Russ and I) will not allow dating in high school. I am attempting to avoid the mopey girls crying into their pillows to corny Taylor Swift. It may seem extreme to some but boys are not good for high school girls.

Very likely be my girls in a few years time....


The conversation was hysterically funny - I wish I could have recorded it to play back to them in 3 years time....I am aware that this may well become a battleground however if I start drilling it into them now then no expectations can be created for 'when they are older'. We shall see....

Levi is loving his cricket. He plays with the Grade 1's on Mondays and Wednesdays. The matches are an hour and supercute to watch. Even I can tolerate cricket for an hour.


Rachel has her show late November - she has been working hard vocally and we are all looking forward to hearing her sing. Her piano is coming along nicely although I still have to chivvy her along to practice.

I am sure I am leaving stuff out...which is why blogging after a long period of time makes me break out in a cold sweat....

10 comments:

cat said...

Great to hear from you again. A huge congratulations on the 20 years. All the best for the next 20.

And I am sure the house will be simply beautiful!

Ordinarylife said...

Good Luck with the no dating in High School. My parent had a "no dating till 16" rule and even after that it was only group dates till after high school. They drummed it in from a very young age. I cursed them but was secretly very please and used it as an excuse many times. In fact, I voluntarily extended it till I was at University. I am not sure how I would have felt if I had actually liked anyone at the time.

MelB said...

@ Pam - i think your parent were wise...and i hope it wont be too much of a battleground. >_<

ANNE said...

Nice synopsis and pics of October.

Lynette said...

AH...at last! Lovely catch up post. Congratulations on 20 years, so true that you tend to grow closer together over the years. Kobus and I finish each others sentences and often know what the other is going to say even before they do. Uncanny!

Your girls are beautiful...and I see a lot of fights about the "no dating rule". I wish you loads of luck with that one.

blackhuff said...

It's great to hear from you again. We can start a club with this hormones thing.
Good luck with the contractors in your home.

Stefanie said...

Congrats on the anniversary. You look fab with the longer hair too.
Wish I could slow my kids down too.
My second is in matric next year. Quite frightening.

Heathcote Safari said...

Lovely to catch up with your lives beyond the glimpses afforded by Facebook! Can't wait to see the floor and, if it's any consolation, hormones seem to be having the same effect on Keziah these days ;-)

Lulu said...

Love catching up and reading all your posts. Well, the last two, that I missed. I also LOVE having the house to myself when the maid is not here. But I also LOVE having her tidy up after us.

Jeannie said...

hahaha - that's brilliant! I said to my girls last night - I won't stand for them living their lives through a Taylor Swift song! Or like Belle having nightmares because her boyfriend left her... hahahaha. Waaaayyyy too much drama!

But love those girlie chats! Because even when they are casual - they are est. values!