09 June 2014

A little catch up

What is happening in our world right now:



Levi is settled at school. Bored but enjoys the social life.  He is doing exceptionally well and his latest assessment has him reading at Gr5 level and maths at Gr4 level. He seems to just cruise through school; every now and then I need to remind myself to PAY ATTENTION. I have been in to arrange extra work to keep him stimulated and I reckon I will pop in next term and have a similar conversation.



Faith is in a great space. She is deep in preparation for her dance eistedfford in August. She will be doing solos in both tap and modern as well as group performances in both disciplines. She is loving it as much as ever.


She is also ecstatic to have made the Ackermans blog squad. We now await her iPad mini and further instructions as to what her duties will be over the next 12 months.



Rachel is feeling the loss of the friends from school. She is wanting a 'best friend' but not enough to even consider going back to school. She is not a 'wallower' so just gets on with life and makes plans to see friends as often as she can. We are praying for someone to pop up in the homeschool community - or even a neighbor in the estate.




Russell is working on a contract in Gaberone. He is home for weekends and thoroughly enjoying being back in the consulting world. It has been a tough few months but the fog has lifted enough for us to begin to see light. Nothing is quite clear but we are optimistic and looking at all kinds of options including a possible relocation in the new year.



We are running every weekend in Silvermine. The kids are at that wonderful age where we can wave them goodbye and disappear for hours at a time without a worry. They are all remarkably independent and self-reliant.
Luke is back! My trusty running partner. His owners are leaving SA
so we happily took him back!

I have lost a decent amount of weight recently by making a simple change - no wheat in my diet. The last 2yrs I have seen a dramatic increase in belly blubber and it was completely freaking me out. Then I had a conversation that freaked me out even more …that one that goes like this …

 'Well Mel, you ARE over 40 now, it happens to the best of us!'

Um. No. Actually it is NOT a foregone conclusion. I have lost 5kg and 5cm around my waist and all I did was dramatically reduce my wheat intake. I am not a big banting freak; carbs are NOT the enemy if you eat them correctly.



I have decided to treat myself to a running coach once a week.  I head out to Tokai forest and meet him for an hour of pure pain.

And then I pay him for the privilege. I have been running for some time now and I feel I need to push the envelope and I believe he is the guy that can help me get faster and stronger.

We shall see. He is kind of scary, in a good way, but scary nonetheless.


7 comments:

cat said...

Glad to see Luke is back! And so excited about Faith and the Ackermans thing. I am sure Fiath will find something.

Marleen Swart said...

Exciting things happening for you all. I'll Whatsapp you a bit later :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

What a wonderful catch up post...you must be so proud of your little fashionista...but then you are proud of all your chicks...and that is the way it is meant to be.

You are looking good Mel...though I never noticed any belly fat ;-)

Hayley said...

I can see your blog! :-)

Loved this catch up...and you are looking amazing!

Cant wait to see what happen with the Ackermans thing!

Ordinarylife said...

Relocation.... PE! PE! PE!

I have been doing the Banting thing since January, but have been playing with putting various carbs in to "test" them out. I have realised that potatoes and me are fine. Wheat and me don't work at all!

For now I am just cutting down on all carbs but will sneak the odd potatoe here and there.

You look great - and I also agree. 40 does not mean anything!

Ordinarylife said...

Relocation.... PE! PE! PE!

I have been doing the Banting thing since January, but have been playing with putting various carbs in to "test" them out. I have realised that potatoes and me are fine. Wheat and me don't work at all!

For now I am just cutting down on all carbs but will sneak the odd potatoe here and there.

You look great - and I also agree. 40 does not mean anything!

Shayne said...

Tummy flab? where exactly?

You are looking great and wow how big have your kiddies gotten?

And did we ever doubt that Faith would make her debut in the fashion arena ;)

Another running nut but how awesome that your whole family tag along.

And glad to be able to read you again :)