11 November 2016

True Grit

Today was Levi's first award ceremony as a SVPS pupil. I hate 'prize-giving' and have written many blogging rants on this subject but I was very pleased to see that this school has a unique perspective in the way they reward/encourage students.

Their curriculum and ethos flow strongly around the theme of developing GRIT in children with emphasis on the power of failing-forward, the positive power of struggle and the understanding of process versus outcome.

I sat in my seat listening to the principal and, at times, had to restrain myself from leaving my seat and high-fiving him.

I watched Levi on the stage as he sat with all his peers. He lights up when he is at school and I can only be grateful that the new path I felt best for him turned out so well. He walked away with an EQ award - I am not surprised - this boy has shown outstanding courage this year.

I am so proud of him.

Articles regarding GRIT and how important it is :

http://news.stanford.edu/2015/04/29/dweck-kids-potential-042915/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2015/03/09/grit-the-key-ingredient-to-your-kids-success/


No comments: