25 April 2014

Small Change Big Impact

Today I reclaimed some of my life. That may sound dramatic considering all I did was move each of my girls into their bedrooms for school time.

I have begun to feel that my large home is becoming all too small purely because there is not one space to call my own. My studio had become the classroom. It had become littered with stuff and noise and equipment. It was not my space anymore but it had made sense to share it with the girls; I was on hand to help them out when they had questions with their work.


A year later I realize that the best solution for us all is to operate in a quite space of our own. There was initially some resistance but since the transition there is a sense of peace that has been missing for some time.



Now we have 'communal time' downstairs on the couch for reading, sharing ideas and watching clips/documentaries.

I have seen such growth in both girls over last 6 months. My biggest joy is watching their passion for English develop. Their love for language is fostered by myself, my friend Kerrin and the amazing curriculum I sourced through Love2Learn. Regular trips to the library, to find living books alongside novels, have become mandatory.

I think all parents want to raise kids who are readers; this was my aim but despite my best efforts I was never that mom who read to my kids each night. I suffered some serious guilt over this as every friend/book/article told me if I wanted kids to love reading I HAD to read to them every day.


My bet is that Rach got many more stories than Faith or Levi ever did! Truth be told I barely managed to get them all to bed without cross or irritated words when they were babes but reality is that DESPITE my shortcomings they still love to read.



1 comment:

Marleen Swart said...

I'm glad everyone Is happy in their own spaces. Love to hear how the girls have grown over the last 6 months. You sound so proud of them :)